Tuesday 8 February 2011

Oscar Season

The Oscars are right around the corner and guys, I can't tell you how much I'm loving the Oscar films right now!

First up, I went to see 127 Hours.


The movie tells the true story of Aron Ralston, who whilst hiking in Utah, gets his arm trapped under a boulder. After 5 days trapped he amputates his own arm with a blunt knife. The film is shot beautifully especially in the way it shows the stunning landscape. But the real beauty of it is how most of the film focuses just on James Franco, the actor who plays Ralston. There's not a huge amount of talking, or action, and much of the film is of the same frame. We just watch as Ralston takes steps to keep himself going, and tries to figure out a way to release himself and its awe inspiring. I think this film is a huge achievement for Franco and well worth watching. It will leave you contemplating what amazing things the human mind and body can do and survive even in the most dire of situations.

Second up is The King's Speech.


This film is pure perfection! There is no other way to put it. The film tells the story of King George VI in his fight to overcome his stammer. The acting is just sensational from Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is filled to the brim with heart and wit and I can't see why anyone, young or old, can fail to fall in love with this gem of a film. And gawd Colin Firth I've had a crush on him since he played Mr Darcy!

Lastly, I went to see Black Swan.


Now, I'm not gonna lie, I found parts of this movie petrifying. Before I went I'd heard from others how disturbing it was. I thought pfft, whooses, it's a ballerina movie. How scary could it be? Answer - VERY. Despite this, wow, Natalie Portman. I'm a huge fan of hers anyway, but this movie is such an accomplishment for her. I read she trained in ballet for 2 years to prepare herself for this role and it shows. The film is exquisite in many ways, and after leaving the movie I realised more and more how clever the plot was. Despite the fact its a little gruesome at times this is a must see.

Overall, I have been hugely impressed with the Oscar line up this year! In the past, it has been very rare for me to enjoy so many of the movies nominated. Have any of you seen these films? What do you think?

1 comment: